Choose Your Options
This is a digital product delivered via email after purchase.
Please read the detailed information below and Here before purchase – no refunds for digital products.
Your purchase of the 2021 List:
- Provides you with a list of 31 pet food manufacturers compiled and trusted by an experienced (since 2006) pet food consumer advocate. No company pays a fee to be considered or to be included on the List; they are selected solely on their use of quality food ingredients, nutritional standards and safety procedures (testing).
- Supports pet food consumer advocacy. The FDA allows pet feeds (labeled as cat food and dog food) to violate federal law. Every US state allows pet feed to violate state laws. And no regulatory authority requires pet feeds to be transparent with pet owners disclosing their use of illegal, waste ingredients. Since 2006 we have been battling regulatory authorities on these and many other concerns.
- Supports a different pet non-profit each month throughout the year. 10% of all sales will be donated to a different pet non-profit each month. To see which non-profit is benefiting from your purchase this month, Click Here.
The List is offered at various prices to allow for various levels of support to the pet food consumer advocacy work of Susan Thixton and TruthaboutPetFood.com. The document is the same no matter what price you purchase at.
- The List is not an endorsement of any pet food. It is a 'list' of pet foods that I (Susan Thixton) trust to give to my own pets. The pet foods were selected from detailed information and verification to quality of ingredients that was provided by each company considered. Unfortunately, we can't guarantee pet owners that any of these pet foods won't be recalled in the future - that is beyond our control. We can guarantee that we verified quality of ingredients used in each pet food on the 2021 List (and verified claims of organic ingredients and meats sourced from humanely raised animals).
- No pet food company pays to be on The List. I do not receive money from pet food companies – Susan Thixton, TruthaboutPetFood.com and AssociationforTruthinPetFood.com is 100% consumer supported.
- These pet foods can be purchased from quality independent pet foods stores, and/or directly from the manufacturer, and some are available in larger retail. Each manufacturer page in the List provides information on their specific distribution.
- Most pet foods on the 2021 List are available only in the US. 7 manufacturers sell in Canada, 2 offer limited international distribution.
- The 2021 List contains 31 different pet food manufacturers; 17 companies selling cat food, 30 companies selling dog food. 16 manufacturers provide cooked pet foods, 15 manufacturers provide raw pet foods, 7 provide freeze dried or dehydrated, 2 provide kibble, and 1 provides canned pet food.
Your receipt email will include a link to download the 2021 List. The download link will be under the section titled 'Your Cart Items'. If you do not receive your receipt email and download link for the List within 30 minutes of ordering, check your SPAM folder. If you still need help receiving the document email Susan Thixton - Susan@TruthaboutPetFood.com.
Please save the document on your computer once downloaded.
Your credit card/bank statement will say TruthPetFoo.
American Express card is not accepted.
Thank you! Your purchase supports pet food consumer advocacy and a pet charity throughout the year (1 charity per month).
Donated for a list
Posted by Jenny on 22nd Feb 2021
Not really sure if this is healthful for me
Not really sure if this was what I expected
Lots of reading
Thankful for List
Posted by Melissa Wells on 18th Feb 2021
After reading a book that detailed the frightening issues/ingredients and little regulation to the commercial pet food industry, I purchased the list to look for safe and much better food for my beloved pets. I was able to find a couple from list that I am trying and looking to switch to.
Amazing resource for pet owners!
Posted by Unknown on 14th Feb 2021
This is my second year ordering this pet food list. I've lost my last two dogs to cancer and I believe that a lack of education on what I was feeding them definitely played a part in that. Searching through the hundreds of dog food options on your own is extremely daunting and this list makes it so much easier. I especially like that for 2021 they added a one-page chart where you can compare different dog foods across all manufacturers that are approved on the list. It was really helpful for me as I decided I wanted to get something that was lightly cooked and organic. I'm very pleased with my purchase. This website has a great mission and I wish more dog owners knew about it!
PDF list is really hard to read
Posted by Jolie Conzoner on 14th Feb 2021
My main issue is that the PDF is really hard to read. First of all how its organized is super frustrating. All the cat and dog foods are mixed together on one list. Then when you want to read about each food out on the list you have to scroll and scroll and scroll to find it. I got so frustrated I just ended up Googling the brand names instead. I also have noticed the list for cat foods is much smaller than the dogs. Which makes it all the more annoying that the two are mixed together. I would pay extra money if this list was put together in a way that makes it easier to read. There are ways to make clickable links in a PDF and this desperately needs some added navigation. Much like the website its suffers from a lack of good design. Its too bad because I do value the work that goes into this research. Perhaps finding a volunteer web designer would be helpful. You will get more readers and people willing to pay money if you site and downloads look more modern and polished.
Excellent unbiased reviews of pet food
Posted by CJ on 14th Feb 2021
Extensive research goes into this report. It has important information including whether ingredients are food grade, etc. It is an excellent resource to assist in choosing a healthy pet food.
2021 List is Awesome!
Posted by L.J. on 14th Feb 2021
I look forward to getting the new list each year, and it never disappoints! The List keeps getting better and better. I like the format, and always find something new to try for my kitties. I love that I can trust the quality of these foods, knowing my fur kids are getting the best! Thank you Susan, for all the research and hard work it takes to produce the list. It is a "must have" for every pet owner!
Looking for best dog food
Posted by Angele on 13th Feb 2021
I found a new brand of quality dog food with the i would of liked to see more kibble to be able to have a safe back up if needed and a more of the Canadian brand but the 2021 list was still of help so i am very grateful!:)
Make thes manufactures accountable
Posted by Unknown on 10th Feb 2021
I would like to see an alternative list for safe, quality nutrition. I use Honest Kitchen and Farmina and disappointed HK was not on the list. Why has Honest Kitchen fallen out of the ranks of safe, quality nutrition?
Posted by Pat on 10th Feb 2021
I was so disappointed there was almost no kibble on the new list. Not everyone can do raw or fresh!
Posted by Tammy on 7th Feb 2021
All pet parents should do a little research about commercial dog abs cat food. Susan makes it a lot easier!